- 21 to 45 years of age.
- A citizen or legal permanent resident of the United States.
- Of good physical and mental health.
- A high-school graduate, and preferably, has completed two years of college.
- Free of significant financial and family obligations.
- A practicing Roman Catholic for at least one year.
- Prayerful with a desire to mature in the spiritual life.
- Open to learning about himself and the demands of Franciscan religious life.
- Committed to living the vows of poverty, chastity, and obedience.
- Able to live and serve joyfully within fraternal community.
- Able to compassionately serve the poor, vulnerable, and those different from oneself.
A candidate for religious life as a Franciscan friar is: